Uploading your documents to Better.co.uk

Tips and tricks to keep your mortgage application moving

corinne-kutz-tMI2 -r5Nfo-unsplash

After accepting our mortgage recommendation

For us to get you your mortgage deal, you need to upload documents that confirm your identity and affordability.

Follow this guide to avoid delays and help us get you your mortgage as soon as possible.

Verify your identity

Before we can move forward with your mortgage application, we need to confirm your identity with our security partner, HooYu. 

It’s safe and secure, they will not store or keep any of your data.

To do this you need to:

  • take a photo of yourself using a smartphone or webcam

  • upload 1 photo ID. This can be a passport, driving licence, identity card, residence permit 

  • 1 proof of address documents. This can be a utility bill, bank statement, tax document, insurance, proof of address. You may be asked for a second proof of address document depending on your situation

You also have the option to add a digital ID such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Google, Paypal, Amazon, Live.

How to upload your documents to Better.co.uk

Read this step-by-step guide on how to upload documents:

  • Step 1: Log into Better.co.uk and open the 'Your documents' tab.

  • Step 2: Click on the document you'd like to upload.

  • Step 3: Click in the 'Add your documents' box.

  • Step 4: Select the document you'd like to add.

  • Step 5: Click to open your document.

  • Step 6: When your document has finished uploading click 'Go Back'.

  • Repeat steps two to six until all your documents are uploaded.

  • Step 7: When you have uploaded all your docs, click 'Submit my Documents'.

Once done your dedicated adviser will be in touch about the next steps.

You can upload or scan your documents. We accept images in the format of PDFs, JPEGs, PNGs.

We recommend that you scan your documents.

If you cannot access a scanner, you can scan using your phone with these 2 apps:

Photos we accept

If you cannot scan your documents, we also accept high-quality photos. You can take these with your phone or a digital camera.

Tips for getting documents accepted

To avoid delays, make sure:

  • you do not send screenshots like a picture of your laptop screen showing the bank statement. We cannot accept these

  • any text is easy to see and read. Your lender’s underwriter will need to read this and will reject it if they're not able to

  • there's nothing visible in the background. White backgrounds are best. The image must not be covered in any way for example fingers showing you holding the document

  • a flash or shadow is not visible

  • the document is laid flat (especially passports)

  • passports should show both signature and photo page

Documents we need

You'll need either a passport or driving licence.

If you plan to use your driving licence as proof of address, you'll need to use something else for ID. You can only use a form of ID once.

We also accept:

  • current national identity cards or UK Border Agency identity cards

  • HMRC Registration Card CIS4 for construction industry employees

  • firearms certificates or shotgun licences

  • residence permits issued by the Home Office to EEA nationals

This can be your:

  • latest council tax bill

  • driving licence

  • utility bill dated in the last 3 months from the property address on your application

  • bank statement or credit card statement within the last 3 months

All forms of proof of address

There are many ways you can prove your address.

Here’s a full list of documents we can accept:

  • current photocard driving licence* (full or provisional)

  • current full paper style driving licence (provisional not acceptable)

  • housing benefit letter or document (within 12 months)

  • council tax benefit letter or document (within 12 months)

  • tax credit letter or document (within 12 months)

  • pension book or notification letter (within 12 months)

  • grant notification – eg educational (within 12 months)

  • current tax code notification or assessment (not P60 or P45) (within 12 months)

  • utility bill (within 3 months)

  • bank statement or credit or debit card statement (within 3 months)

  • current council tax demand letter or statement (within 12 months)

  • council or housing association rent card or tenancy agreement (within 12 months). Reputable landlords are also acceptable

  • original notification letter from benefits agency or local authority confirming your right to UK benefits (dated within the last 4 months)

  • mortgage statement issued by a UK financial sector firm (within 12 months)

  • grant of probate or power of attorney

  • TV licence (within 12 months)

  • vehicle registration or tax renewal document (within 12 months)

  • House or motor insurance certificate (within 12 months)

*If you used this for proof of ID you cannot use also this as proof of address.


If you're employed, we’ll need your last:

  • 3 months of payslips if you're paid monthly.

  • 13 payslips if you're paid weekly

New job

If you’ve just started a new job and do not have 3 months of payslips we’ll need your ​new job contract.

Self employed

If you’re self employed, please send us either your:

  • l​ast 2 years of tax year overviews and tax calculations

  • your company accounts

We may come back and ask for extra documents depending on your lender.

Find out how to get copies of your tax year overviews and tax calculations.


If your source of income is a pension, we’ll need to see your last pension letter and bank statements as proof.

Proof of deposit

If we’ve asked for proof of your deposit we need the last 3 months of bank statements from the savings or current account where you keep your deposit.

If your deposit is from something else like shares or bonds your adviser will talk you through what your lender needs.

Find out how to download bank statements.

Gifted deposit letter

If someone has gifted you money, your Better.co.uk mortgage adviser will need a signed letter from your gifter.

They'll also need the last 3 months bank statements from the gifter’s account.

You can download the letter and upload the signed copy.

Other things you may be asked for

You may also be asked for evidence of:

  • any additional income such as bonuses, commission and overtime

  • non-earned income such as maintenance, tax credits and child benefit

  • right to reside such as visas or residency cards

  • additional payslips or return to work letters if you’re on parental leave 

  • the date you’ll be returning to work if you’re on furlough due to coronavirus

5 things to remember when uploading your documents

To speed up your application make sure:

  1. your scans or photos meet the requirements

  2. PDFs must not be password protected, or we will not be able to access them.

  3. you send each document as a separate file, rather than uploading them as one long attachment. The maximum file size is 10MB

  4. you clearly name each document so your mortgage adviser knows exactly what you've uploaded.

  5. you check which documents you can download as PDFs (such as bank statements) before printing and scanning. Almost all banks now offer downloadable statements

Downloading bank statements

Not sure how to download your bank statements?

Click on your lender below to find out.

The 'Big Six':

Other banks:

Other lenders

If your lender isn’t listed above, we recommend getting in touch with their customer services department to ask about downloading your bank statements.

Find an answer

Explore our mortgage guide and find answers to the most common mortgage questions

Ask us anything

Can't find the info you're looking for? Chat to one of our mortgage experts and ask them anything!